Fez, the medieval city in which it is almost an obligation to get lost in its labyrinthine and chaotic, but full of charm, medina. Unlike the tourist Marrakech in Fez we can enjoy a little more tranquility and less stress, especially by sellers. In addition to touring its medina, we have to walk and haggle in its endless souks, have a tea in one of its terraces, visit its Koranic schools, try the best couscous and tajine, visit the tanneries and not stop smell, look and feel their environment.
There's a lot things to see and do in Fez, we wanted to make a list of the 50 that we think are most important, making a selection of the ones we liked the most on the trip we made to Casablanca, Meknes, Volubilis and Fez. We start!
1. Make the route of the artisans, a circular itinerary marked with posters that begins in the Boujloud Square, and that will help us get a first idea of the medina and what we can find.
2. Reach the Bab Guissa door of the 10th century, north of the medina, and with the Jewish cemetery hill in front.
3. Tour the Mellah, the Jewish quarter of Fez, located next to the Royal Palace in the Fez el-Jdid medina, starting at the main street Rue Mellah and entering its alleyways.
4. Dine traditional Moroccan food on the terrace of Riad Rcif, with magnificent views of the medina.
5. View from the viewpoints of the stores, with a branch of mint in the nose, Chouwara Tannery, a show of smells and colors.
11. Take a picture from outside to inside the Al Karaouine Mosque, known for having the oldest university in the world, although you can only access if you are a Muslim.
12. Ignore the fake guides who try to sell you a tour of the medina, in the end it can become a tour of the shops of their friends.
13. If we do not want to miss any detail or curiosity of the medina, it is interesting to book a tour with an official Spanish guide.
14. Eat a good tajine or couscous on the terrace of the Sekaya restaurant, with spectacular views of the medina, one of the best things to do in Fes.
15. Visit the Medersa Attarine, with a beautiful inner courtyard full of mosaics with phrases from the Koran.
Bab Bou Jeloud door
46. Tour a part of the great wall of Fez centuries old that protects the medina.
47. Try the camel burgers in the tourist Cafe Clock, with good views from the terrace, near the Bab Bou Jeloud door.
48. Let you shave by hand with a good massage in one of its many barbershops.
49. Watch the sunset and sunset over Fez from Merinies tombs.
50. Fez is a safe city but it is always advisable, as in other cities, to use common sense and not to walk through certain streets with few people at night or display valuables. Surely the city will make you fall in love and you will be counting the days to return.
* Book your transfer Airport ⇆ Centro or Hotel in Fez here
If you feel like helping us complete the list of 50 things to see and do in Fes, add yours in the comments.